Phoenix, AZ – The 2016 Annual Truck Driving and Step Van Championship Competition was held on April 16, 2016, at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
165 drivers participated in this year‘s event. Many of which have millions of miles of accident free driving. Congratulations to all the drivers who participated.
Participants are tested in three different areas. A written exam that tests drivers’ knowledge of the industry, first aid, health, wellness, injury prevention, fire safety, general safety, and security. Competitors are tested on their knowledge of the equipment with a pre-trip inspection. Finally, participants show their driving skills as they complete six objectives that test their ability to maneuver the vehicle in simulations of every day conditions.
Arthur Dority III (Knight Transportation, Inc.) was awarded “Grand Champion”. Additional high honors include:
- Best Skills/Driving Course Score – Albert Ochoa (FedEx Freight)
- Best Pre-Trip Inspection – Robert Gordon (XPO Logistics, Inc.)
- Rookie of the Year – Jeffery Fahsholtz (ABF Freight System, Inc.)
Eight other TDC class winners will join Mr. Dority to represent Arizona at the National Truck Driving Championship in Indianapolis, IN on August 10-13, 2016. Team Arizona will compete against 450 other professional drivers vying for selection as the nation’s top professional truck drivers.
First, second, and third place winners in each class are listed below.
3 Axle Class
1. Albert Ochoa – FedEx Freight
2. Gregory (Greg) Nauertz – YRC, Inc.
3. Demetrick (Dee) Martin, FedEx Freight
4 Axle Class
1. Andres Orozco – FedEx Freight
2. Robert (Tap) Tapia – Old Dominion Freight Lines, Inc.
3. Edward Romero, XPO Logistics, Inc.
5 Axle Class
1. Brian Sprowel – J&L Transportation, Inc.
2. Eric Ramsdell – Walmart Transportation, LLC
3. Richard (Rich) Baranik – UPS Freight
1. Kenny Jones – Walmart Transportation, Inc.
2. Galen Spangler – Shamrock Foods Co.
3. Glenn Lougheed – Walmart Transportation, LLC
Sleeper Berth Class
1. Arthur Dority III – Knight Transportation, Inc.
2. Tramel Caldwell – Shamrock Foods Co.
3. Ruben Montijo – XPO Logistics, Inc.
Straight Truck Class
1 Charlie Woodland – FedEx Freight
2. Sean Saxon – FedEx Ground
3. Gary Maple – XPO Logistics, Inc.
1. Duane Donner, Walmart Transportation, LLC
2. Robert Dominguez, Western Refining Wholesale, Inc.
3. James (Jimbo) Calen, Western Refining Wholesale, Inc.
1. Robert Gordon, XPO Logistics, Inc.
2. Mohammed Khan, FedEx Freight
3. Tobias (Toby) Fierros, Jr., ABF Freight System
Step Van Class
1. Michael (Mike) Ortiz , FedEx Ground
2. Kevin Ekstrom, FedEx Ground
3. Tyson Betters , FedEx Ground
A complete results listing can also be found here.