The Arizona Trucking Association (ATA) is excited to announce that we are hosting a special upcoming event to show appreciation for our professional truck drivers. The event is called battle of the states and the top 10 finishers will win cash prizes and qualify for the national “Battle of the States”. The competition will be a “Trucker Knowledge Competition” and it will be held virtually on Saturday, July 31st at 4:00 pm (AZ Time). While that might seem like an odd time to host an event, we are coordinating our efforts with many other state trucking associations around the country to hold similar competitions on the same night and at the same time – from Maine to Hawaii.
The concept is simple. We have subscribed to the quiz-show online platform called Kahoot to test professional drivers on their knowledge of trucking regulations, state-specific trucking details and we will also toss in some general trucking trivia to keep things interesting. Participants will register through the ATA to compete for cash prizes with entry requirements being very similar to those wishing to compete in our TDC. Again, the top 10 qualified finishers will also be eligible to compete at a similar national event hosted by the American Trucking Associations on August 14th.
This is meant to be a fun event for drivers, especially those who have missed the camaraderie and competition of the past two TDC’s. Part of this fun will be to compete for a number of significant cash prizes, thanks to the unbelievable generosity of the ATA Sponsors. Please take the time to see the list of sponsors who have made this possible at the bottom of this page. The deadline to register is July 23, 2021 by 5:00pm.
Rules & Eligibility
- You must certify that, from August 15, 2020 to the present, you have been continuously employed by your current employer and have had no crashes;
- You must be a valid CDL holder or employed as a non-CDL Step Van driver;
- You must be a Arizona-based driver and allow ATA access to your recent MVR;
- You must be at least 18-years old;
- You cannot be an employee of any State Trucking Association, or the ATA;
- You must grant the ATA and the American Trucking Associations and its designated agencies exclusive right to make use of information about yourself and any photographs subsequently taken under AzTA’s or ATA’s direction, in publicity and advertising activities;
- In order to receive payment for prizes over $600, winners must return a completed W-9 form so we can submit the required 1099-MISC tax form at the end of the year. ATA will email this form to the email address on the participant’s registration;
- Once the game PIN is provided and you are asked to provide your “Nickname” in Kahoot, you must type in the name you registered under. Not a fake name, not a funny name. If you do not use your registered name, you will be disqualified.
- Registrants agree that the game is the game. ATA has no control over internet speeds, the connection with Kahoot or the automatic scoring for accuracy and speed;
- ATA is the final arbiter of all rules and questions of eligibility;
- The game starts at 4:00pm (AZ Time) sharp on Saturday, July 31, 2021
Preparing for the Competition
Included in your registration is a copy of the 2020 “Facts-for-Drivers” book.* Please stop by ATA’s office to get your copy. (If you need an alternative version, you can order it here.) This study guide covers topics such as general trucking industry and regulatory knowledge, safety and security (including hazardous materials), first aid, health/wellness, personal safety and fire safety. Other questions that might be asked during the competition will cover Arizona trucking trivia for which there is no study guide – you just know it when you know it. And obviously, knowing the FMCSA regulations will help you outscore your fellow competitors!
*Subject to availability and timing.
You will need at least one device (smartphone, tablet, pc/laptop) to participate in the competition and a connection to the internet.
If you are new to the Kahoot platform, we have provided links to answer such questions as:
- What is Kahoot?
- How to join the game.
- How to answer questions.
- Troubleshooting – disconnected from a game.
- Troubleshooting – if screen times out.
We can’t stress enough that once the game PIN is provided and you are asked to provide your “Nickname” in Kahoot, you must type in the name you registered under. Not a fake name, not a funny name. If you do not use your registered name, you will be disqualified.
Competition Day (July 31, 2021)
ATA will email each qualified participant the game PIN at 3:00pm (an hour before the competition starts). If you do not check your email, you will not be able to participate.
STEP 1: ENTER GAME PIN. On your device, open up a web browser and type in kahoot.it. That will bring you to the following screen to enter the Game PIN:
STEP 2: ENTER YOUR REGISTERED NAME. This step is very important. We can’t stress enough that once the game PIN is provided and you are asked to provide your “Nickname” in Kahoot, you must type in the name you registered under. Not a fake name, not a funny name. If you do not use your registered name, you will be disqualified.
Here is what that screen will look like:
STEP 3: WAIT FOR THE GAME TO START AT 4PM (AZ Time). After you enter your name and click on OK, GO!, then you will be in a “waiting room” while others join the game. If your name was ROBERT SMITH, here is what your screen would look like:
Please note: In order to receive payment for prizes over $600, winners must return a completed W-9 form so we can submit the required 1099-MISC tax form at the end of the year. ATA will email this form to the email address on the participant’s registration.
1st place – $2,500
2nd place – $1,000
3rd place – $500
4th place – $100
5th place – $100
6th place – $100
7th place – $100
8th place – $100
9th place – $100
10th place – $100
Once the competition concludes, ATA will tabulate the standings and send an email list to all participants with the results. This list will include all player names and their companies in the order of their final score. We will also endeavor to post the results on this web page.
Deadline to Register
Registration closes at 5:00pm on Friday, July 23, 2021.