Phoenix, AZ – On April 16, 2016, the Arizona Trucking Association held its annual Truck Driving Championship (TDC) at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
165 drivers participated in this year‘s event. Many of which have millions of miles of accident free driving.
Participants are tested in three different areas. A written exam that tests drivers’ knowledge of the industry, first aid, health, wellness, injury prevention, fire safety, general safety, and security. Competitors are tested on their knowledge of the equipment with a pre-trip inspection. Finally, participants show their driving skills as they complete six objectives that test their ability to maneuver the vehicle in simulations of every day conditions.
Arthur Dority III (Knight Transportation, Inc.) was awarded Grand Champion of the annual safe driving competition. Additional high honors included:
- Best Skills/Driving Course Score – Albert Ochoa (FedEx Freight)
- Best Pre-Trip Inspection – Robert Gordon (XPO Logistics, Inc.)
- Rookie of the Year – Jeffery Fahsholtz (ABF Freight System, Inc.)
Eight other TDC class winners will join Mr. Dority to represent Arizona at the National Truck Driving Championship in Indianapolis, IN on August 10-13, 2016. They are: Albert Ochoa, FedEx Freight; Andres Orozco, FedEx Freight; Brian Sprowel, J & L Transportation, Inc.; Kenny Jones, Walmart Transportation , LLC; Charlie Woodland, FedEx Freight; Duane Donner, Walmart Transportation, LLC; Robert Gordon, XPO Logistics, Inc.; and Michael (Mike) Ortiz , FedEx Ground.
Team Arizona will compete against 450 other professional drivers vying for selection as the nation’s top professional truck drivers.
First, second, and third place winners in each class are listed below.
3 Axle Class
- Albert Ochoa – FedEx Freight
- Gregory (Greg) Nauertz – YRC, Inc.
- Demetrick (Dee) Martin, FedEx Freight
4 Axle Class
- Andres Orozco – FedEx Freight
- Robert (Tap) Tapia – Old Dominion Freight Lines, Inc.
- Edward Romero, XPO Logistics, Inc.
5 Axle Class
- Brian Sprowel – J & L Transportation, Inc.
- Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, LLC
- Richard (Rich) Baranik – UPS Freight
- Kenny Jones – Walmart Transportation
- Galen Spangler – Shamrock Foods Co.
- Glenn Lougheed – Walmart Transportation, LLC
Sleeper Berth Class
- Arthur Dority III – Knight Transportation, Inc.
- Tramel Caldwell – Shamrock Foods Co.
- Ruben Montijo – XPO Logistics, Inc.
Straight Truck Class
- Charlie Woodland – FedEx Freight
- Sean Saxon – FedEx Ground
- Gary Maple – XPO Logistics, Inc.
- Duane Donner, Walmart Transportation, LLC
- Robert Dominguez, Western Refining Wholesale, Inc.
- James (Jimbo) Calen, Western Refining Wholesale, Inc.
- Robert Gordon, XPO Logistics, Inc.
- Mohammed Khan, FedEx Freight
- Tobias (Toby) Fierros, Jr., ABF Freight System
Step Van Class
- Michael (Mike) Ortiz , FedEx Ground
- Kevin Ekstrom, FedEx Ground
- Tyson Betters , FedEx Ground
A complete results listing can be found here.
The Arizona Trucking Association would like to thank all the competitors who participated in this year’s TDC. We would also like to thank the sponsors and volunteers who make the Arizona TDC possible including:
- ABF Freight System
- DLD Truck Straps, Inc.
- HDS Inc.
- FedEx Freight
- FedEx Ground
- Frontier Adjusters
- Jonesco Trucking, Inc.
- Knight Transportation, Inc.
- May Trucking Co.
- National Truck Services Group
- Old Dominion Freight
- Precision Heavy Haul, Inc.
- Ryder System, Inc.
- Safeway, Inc.
- Shamrock Foods Co.
- Southwest Truck Driver Training, Inc.
- Swift Transportation Co. of AZ, LLC
- System Transport, Inc.
- Vanguard Truck Center
- Walmart Transportation, LLC
- Western Refining Wholesale, Inc.
- XPO Logistics, Inc.
- YRC, Inc.